16 December 2014

Layang Layang Guest House, A Home Away from Home

Um, hello?

Here are some slight updates about my life recently. I had visited Paris and Toulouse in France in May as part of our syllabus before I completed my final semester, followed by an awesome summer school program in Incheon, Korea that lasted for approximately three weeks in July and August and a short trip in Seoul before I came back to Malaysia. It's not the end of my adventure just yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had recently completed my final industrial training at Layang Layang Guest House, Malacca. I'm majoring in international tourism management, and had previously completed three of my industrial trainings at three different travel agencies. This time, I decided to be slightly adventurous and go for something different. It did not take me long to select a place that is far away from home, my beloved family, and him. It's an excuse for me to sort of travel on my own, I guess, albeit being just two hours away from all of them.

Anyway, let me give you a complete tour around this beautifully decorated guesthouse in a pre-war building, with the greatest people on earth.

P/S: Some of the photos are credited to Layang Layang Guest House.


Views from the outside and along Jalan Tukang Besi, the street right in front of Layang Layang Guest House.

Before I forget, bicycles are available for rent (for guests only) at only RM 5.00 per bicycle per day, from 9.00am to 9.00pm. This is one of the best rates you could find within the area!



The lobby area and the reception counter. During my final industrial training, I spent most of my working hours here waiting for people to check in and check out, chitchatting, eating, and taking my nap. When the temperature reaches as high as 37°C (I'm not even kidding, Malacca can be THIS hot), this is definitely one of the best places to go, with soothing background music and strong ceiling fans as the additional advantages.

For your information, due to certain circumstances, WiFi is only accessible here at the lobby area.




Walk further into the corridor, you will then be greeted by another door added for security purposes, with more wall paintings on both sides. It is opened during the day and closed after 6.00pm. You will be given an access card upon check-in to go in and out of this part of the guesthouse.

Many people find this very troublesome, for having to bring along their room keys whenever they leave their rooms. Who to blame, though, if something valuable goes missing someday?


Here comes the main part of the entire post. My awesome little heaven throughout the 3.5 months!

I felt extremely lucky to be given one of the guestrooms, Standard Room without Window, to be my "hostel". It's windowless (obviously), comes with a queen bed, a coffee table, and an air-conditioner. It's very small and has limited space for walking with my huge luggage occupying most of the space, but it's indeed more than perfect for two people. You don't really spend time walking in your room during a vacation after all, right?

On a side note, I really loved how they indicate each of the room numbers using a mini kite that matches the name of the guesthouse, Layang Layang Guest House.




Other room types include Standard Room with Window, Deluxe Room, Triple Room, Smaller Family Room, and Family Room. These rooms are all air-conditioned, come with at least one window each, and a coffee table. Some of them that are bigger in size have two chairs and a ceiling fan as well.

If you are unsure of which room type to choose, give them a phone call or send them an email and the staff will provide you with the best suggestion to fit you and your people comfortably. :)



When you are in need of a comfortable and relaxing view or when you feel the need to sit down and do nothing, there is a courtyard in the centre of the guesthouse with water feature. You can even take your breakfast or lunch or have a cup of tea by the fish pond, provided that you do not feed the fishes without asking for permission from the staff.


The well is real! If the building has been at least a hundred years, the well should age the same too. According to Boss Hong, the depth of the well is at least 8 feet if he didn't remember wrongly. :O


At the back of the guesthouse is a shared pantry where you can get alkaline water, coffee, tea, and biscuits for free. FREE! Water boiler, cutleries, cups, bowls, plates, and even wine glasses are well-prepared for you who pack outside food to be eaten in the guesthouse. You can also store your food and drinks in the refrigerator to keep them fresh and cool.




Mind you, all 8 bathrooms are shared! They are well-equipped with quality toilet amenities, including hair and body shampoo for your conveniences. If you are a clean freak like me, I would say that there is nothing much to worry about the cleanliness of the bathrooms. They are regularly cleaned and maintained by the staff.

It's the quality of the guest(s) that would often affect the cleanliness of the bathrooms, according to my personal experience as a staff of the guesthouse. You don't expect the staff to check and clean the bathrooms even during midnight, right? Get it?



Last but not least, isn't washing your face with some of the best views accompanied by morning breeze the best way to start off your day? :D



All in all, Layang Layang Guest House is literally a house, where everyone has their own rooms while the facilities such as pantry, lobby area, and bathrooms are shared. The only difference is that you will meet people from all over the world who may speak different languages and have different cultures. Come and give it a try, and you will be surprised! :D

I have to say that I loved my wonderful life here, for having met plenty of great people worth appreciating; my bosses, Hong and Daphne; my manager, Stephanie; my foreign colleagues, Rohman, Roj, and Robbin; one of the chefs of Good Friends Restaurant and Café and owner of Kaya-kaya Café, KC Choong (for introducing good food to me); manager of Kaya-kaya Café, Ms. Pak (a mum of everyone); head chef of Kaya-kaya Café, Ong Yong Zong; the boys of Kaya-kaya Café; and many other friendly locals and our lovely guests.

See you again real soon, Layang Layang Guest House! 

Layang Layang Guest House
24 - 26, Jalan Tukang Besi,
75200 Melaka.
Tel: +606 292 2722
Email: booking@layanglayangmelaka.com
Website: Layang Layang Guest House
Facebook: Layang Layang Guest House
Business Hours (Monday to Thursday): 10.00am to 7.00pm
Business Hours (Friday to Sunday): 10.00am to 9.00pm
Check-in Time: 2.00pm to 9.00pm only
Check-out Time: Before 12.00pm



x.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your loves over here! They are all much appreciated! :D